woensdag 11 februari 2015

Remember the time...

When I was a child, I often went to France with my parents, for holidays. I do remember very well the small villages with their plazas. There were old men playing 'jeu de boule'. They wore trousers with braces. And on the edge of those plazas were women sitting and waffling.
As a child I liked that very much. As an adult I look back to that with much pleasure. 

Is it maybe too romantic to think that it is much nicer to grow old in such a way.  Than in the huge nursing homes where nowadays (in Holland) old people spend their last days? 
Maybe it is too romantic or too naïeve to long for those time in the past. 

Time has been changed definitely. There are more old people nowadays. And  because people are reaching a greater age, they also suffer more ailments.  

But I really don't know if I approve of this. When I could choose, I'd prefer to live shorter like in the former times. Waffling on a bench at the edge of a plaza. Talking about the old days.....Like the time that we went to that yoga class.. And burst into laughter. Or playing 'jeu de boule'. 
I'd prefer that than being tucked away in a huge nursing home, where I don't know anybody.
But well, shall I have a choice when I am that old? And do the elderly people nowadays have a choice? 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten